Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Hoarding & Collecting

"Hoarding is about keeping things inside."
This is what one lady says in the promo of the show 'Hoarders'. 

I collect all kinds of stuff.  Will need item xyz in the future as opposed to what I need in the present?  I store stuff for practical use as opposed to something that makes me happy. It's collected for the fact that I may use it later on & when I do really need it I will thank myself for saving it. 

I have stuff collected, gathering dust that most (if not any) people don't know about me. (My poor family that will uncover all the crap I have when I die!) 

But am I a collector or am I a hoarder?
It's not collecting it is hoarding.   It's hoarding from the stand point that it's not on display, I don't really talk about it & it's not something that makes me happy. A collector on the other hand is someone who accumulates things that interest them, converses about it & displays them.  For example a collector of stamps or owls or Ferrari's.

Here's my secret list of things I hoard. (gulp!)
  • Sealy/Zip-lock bags - For travel, especially for flights
  • Spare buttons (that you get with new clothes)
  • Paper shopping bags
  • Plastic bags
  • Safety pins
  • Travel brochures & Maps - They're glossy & pretty, from places I've been & where I'd like to travel to (which is everywhere, so yeah I have a shelf full of these)

  • Book marks - I don't have 2, 3 or 4 but close to 20
  • Post-it notes - They're pretty & the fact that it is stationery (that's another blog post!).
  • Notebooks/ Exercise books- Mostly all blank with nice covers
  • Fancy dress accessories (Someone please have a Hawaiian Luau party so I can wear my grass skirt and lei's!) 

I hoard.  I'm a hoarder.  I make excuses for what I hoard.  I just hope by disclosing my hoarding side it's a step in the right direction.  I'm taking ownership for my hoarding issue (problem) & it will allow me to start dealing with the fact that I don't really need these.  Will I ever wish that I held onto the 50 plastic bags I have instead of having just 1 or 2 spare?
     
     
     
     Images from; 
    https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg1kQvS5UdH-O3h-T5Hpto8JIKW-eA8Cc5Tacvt_a2Q9BuRLiZ0sm0xH8IQuS_-Lf_zVhIKfKpojFxlsrIYiWB8wzfOhmP6TvEQc-nB1AQttE6yqcT546KWTxPVJfySbggMvcE0346pEC0/s1600/alg_shopping-bags.jpg 
    http://rhodiadrive.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Old-Maps.jpg
     

No comments: