Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Master and Commander

I did something that I have wanted to for quite a while now, I went sailing.  Coupling my love of the harbour and need to 'try' different things (with or without a wing man or woman).

I initially booked into a day long course but due to low enrolment numbers, plan B was to finding a 3hour hands-on taster.  Maybe it was more suited to tourists but as long as I was on a yacht-like vessel and it was a hands-on experience, it didnt really matter.

Doing anything for the first time is a bit nerve racking and also doing it solo is even harder, knowing that others will be there in their small groups or couples.  I was brave for that 5min longer, swallowed whatever issues of social exclusion/inclusion I had and booked myself in to board the Spirit.

On one of Sydney's hottest days, I was on Sydney Harbour. :-)  I was assisting in tugging ropes, changing the sail direction and steering.  Quite sweaty work but with the cool sea breeze you would hardly notice it. 

The Spirit being an ex-America's Cup vessel is built for shealtered waters, not out in the ocean.  I would be a bit afraid to go out sailing out in open water but am more than happy to do this again. (Memories of Sydney to Hobart yacht races come to mind quite quickly!)

The 3 hours went by very quickly.  I have a greater appreciation for sailing now.  There is quite a lot too it, not just sitting back and literally seeing where the wind takes you. You must work as a team, be aware of your surrondings (what are the threats and wind opportunities), be able to follow instructions, know what direction you are headed for and you need to be very agile to move from one side of the boat to the other.

Sounds a lot like running a business!

Anyway, the point is that I did something I wanted to and didn't let little obsticles get in my way. Plan B was found, courage was found, I was aware of my surroundings and networked with strangers.  I was a fish out of water and I loved it!





 

No comments: